WHAT IS CLEANING DAY?
Cleaning Day is a day of celebration for friends of flea markets and recycling, which changes cities and neighborhoods into huge flea markets and marketplaces. The idea of Cleaning Day is to make recycling easy and create vivid and responsible urban culture.
Anyone can offer their secondhand items up for sale on the streets, yards and at home, as well as make the best finds of the day.
Cleaning Day does not have an official organizer, all participants are organizers of their own events. Everyone is responsible for cleaning up after themselves.
WHEN DOES CLEANING DAY TAKE PLACE?
Next Cleaning Day will be organised on May 27, 2023 . So collect your unnecessary things together and get ready to recycle!
WHERE DOES CLEANING DAY TAKE PLACE?
Anywhere in the world. The team behind Cleaning Day operates from Helsinki, Finland, but you can participate anywhere you like.
WHO CAN SELL THEIR SECONDHAND ITEMS ON THE CLEANING DAY?
Anyone, alone or together with others. Cleaning Day is not meant for professional second hand sellers or selling new products.
Companies can also take part in Cleaning Day as well as use the name, logo and other materials of Cleaning Day, provided there is a cooperation agreement in place for the fee and other terms for such use. If you are interested in business cooperation, please contact email@example.com
HOW CAN I JOIN?
You can announce your sales spot by signing it up on the Cleaning Day map page. It is not mandatory if you are having a flea market at your home or in other private space but it is recommended, so that people will find your place.
WHERE CAN I SELL?
People can sell things at home, on the street or backyard, at the office or even on a sports field. You can join others and create larger market areas, for example with people in your own housing area, street or neighborhood.
When choosing your spot, remember to respect other people, the guidelines of your municipality as well as security instructions.
You don’t have to file for a separate permission. However, pay attention to these guidelines of the Public Works Department:
- Sellers have to register and announce their sales spot on the website
- Sales spots have to be placed on "hard" surfaces (i.e. stones, asphalt, gravel). Lawns are not to be damaged
- Accessibility of pedestrians, traffic or other use of public spaces should not be disturbed
- No motor vehicles into the parks
- The seller is responsible for any damage or disturbance their sales activities might cause to the municipality or a third party
- Each seller is responsible for ensuring that items that are not sold or recycled are removed from public spaces immediately after the event
WHAT CAN I SELL?
Any kind of secondhand items e.g. clothes, furniture, birdhouses, bicycles, tools, toys, books and comic books can be sold as well as stuff you have made yourself.
Cleaning Day is not open for professional second hand sellers or retailers. New items should not be sold. The use of Cleaning Day website for company marketing or selling things is forbidden.
WHAT SHOULD I CONSIDER WHEN SELLING?
Regular flea market recommendations:
- Set the prices fairly and according to the quality of your products
- Only sell things that are in good condition
- Prepare with plenty of change
- Prepare something to protect items in case of rain (e.g. big waste bags for cover)
- Recycle things that are not sold
WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THE LEFTOVERS?
If it looks like there will be items left unsold and you want to get rid of them, consider giving them away for free. There may be recycling centers and vehicles ready to receive your leftover items. In such case you will find the locations and more information about recycling points under Neatness & Recycling.
Each participant is responsible for clearing away their leftovers. You should only take out things that you are also ready to take away if necessary.
MAY I USE CLEANING DAY LOGO IN MARKETING OF MY SALES SPOT?
Private people can use the logo and name of Cleaning Day freely in the context of Cleaning Day.
Use of the name and logo on other days or in marketing of companies is forbidden without a separate agreement and fee.